Grahame Morris MP

Member of Parliament for Easington

Don’t risk your life by taking a barbecue into your tent

July 17, 2012 Press Releases 0

Easington MP Grahame Morris has backed the Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity national campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues.

The campaign is a joint venture between the Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity and Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service. It is supported by CFOA and a number of major retailers including Asda, Tesco, Morrison’s, Homebase, B & Q and Dunelm Mill who have pledged to put up point-of-sale notices in their stores for barbecue equipment.

Lynn Griffiths, President of Carbon Monoxide Awareness, said: “Already this year there have been a number of camping fatalities and serious injuries resulting from people taking barbecue equipment inside their tents”.

These products are designed solely for outdoor use and should not be used in enclosed spaces such as tents, caravans, campervans or home conservatories. Modern tents are designed as an integral structure with built-in groundsheets and carbon monoxide gases can rise to fatal levels in a matter of minutes if portable or disposable barbecues are used inside for heating purposes.

“We shall be working with Fire and Rescue services across the UK to get educational and awareness packs to the UK holiday industry for the benefit of holiday-makers. We shall also be targeting campsite owners and their staff with information on how to recognise the presence of carbon monoxide in enclosed tented areas and caravans. We’ve seen too much tragic loss of life and we want to avoid it in future.

Exposure to the gas reduces the blood’s capacity to carry oxygen, thereby causing the vital organs to fail. Early symptoms are similar to flu or food poisoning, but these worsen as more of the gas is breathed in and CO concentrations in the blood increase.

Grahame Morris MP said “I am delighted to be supporting this important campaign to promote greater awareness of the dangers presented by Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas. Many people do not realise they are breathing in these deadly fumes until it is too late.

We need to do all we can to stop tragic deaths from the UK’s most common form of poisoning – Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

It is important people are aware of the signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, drowsiness, confusion, and fatigue – and act immediately to turn off gas appliances, go outside and seek help from a healthcare professional”